Apprenticeship Wage 2019 image

Apprenticeship Wage 2019

Staff Squared date icon10th May 2019

Tag iconManaging staff

Apprenticeships are fast becoming a very popular model of employment and education as they allow you to work and earn while you study; gaining not only the skills and knowledge that you need to succeed in your chosen career but also the experience that most employers yearn for in their staff

They are also an attractive form of employment for businesses – especially SMEs – as apprenticeships mean that companies are able to hire young, new talent who have a fresh perspective and an eagerness to learn but who can also be molded to the way that the employer would want; all at a much more affordable cost than taking on a full-time employee who might also be very stuck in their ways.

How Much do Apprenticeships Pay?

According to the Government legislation, apprentice wages must conform with that stipulated by the National Minimum Wage.

Here are the National Minimum Wage figures as of 1st April 2019.

Age                                                                                  2018      2019

25 and over (National Living Wage)                            £7.83       £8.21

21 and over                                                                     £7.38       £7.70

18 to 20                                                                            £5.90       £6.15

Under 18                                                                          £4.20       £4.35

Apprentice                                                                      £3.70      £3.90

(all apprentices under the age of 19

And any apprentice, regardless of age,

In the first year of their apprenticeship)

Levels of Apprenticeships

There are four levels of apprenticeships, each equivalent to its respective qualification. There are:

Name                                            Level                                              Education Level Equivalent

Intermediate                                    2                                                              5 GCSE passes

Advanced                                          3                                                             2 A-Level passes

Higher                                              4-7                                                Foundation Degree and above

Degree                                            6-7                                                 Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree

The wage you receive is not dependant on the level of your apprenticeship. All employers are expected to pay at least the Minimum Apprentice Wage – although they can pay more at their discretion.

Apprenticeship Hours

Apprenticeships are designed to facilitate full-time work (anything between 30-40 hours per week), Monday to Friday, although the working day should be no longer than 8 hours with a minimum of a 30 minute break.

The apprentice is also expected to attend 1 day of training with their training provider per week, for which the employer must also pay them for.

Other Rights

Apprentices are also entitled to the same statutory rights as other employers, including:

  • Holiday and sickness pay (including Statutory Sick Pay – SSP)
  • Maternity/Paternity Leave and pay
  • Parental/Adoption/Shared Parental Leave and pay
  • Other workplace schemes such as health care or profit sharing

While apprentices are on a different band of pay and do not attend work full-time, they should be treated no differently to any other employee on your payroll.

What Other Fees are the Employer Responsible For?

In addition to the Minimum Apprentice Wage and other statutory entitlements of the apprentice, the employer is responsible for paying 10% towards the total cost of the training, where the Government pays the remaining 90%. These payments should be arranged with and made directly to the training provider.

For More Information

If you are interested in becoming an apprentice or are an employer considering employing an apprentice, visit www.apprenticeships.org.uk for more information.

Written by Clarisse Levitan

Lead First Line Customer Support Agent - Staff Squared

Clarisse works as the Lead of our Customer Support Team to provide all of our customers with the very best care and guidance when using their HR software.

More from our blog

Pay only for what your business needs

  • £

    3

    per person

    per month

  • Try Staff Squared FREE for 14 days. No credit card required.

How can we help?

Staff Squared Logomark Close icon

Let's get your HR started.

Tick FREE for 14 days
Tick No credit card required
Close cross
Enter your email address

Already have an account? Log in

Need help?